For the couple of days that the Fremont Festival of the Arts is taking place, it is the hottest place to be in the entire state. An average of 23,552 mugs of beer are poured and 18,256 ice-cream bars are consumed at this annual event. At least 650 artisans create this festival in Fremont, California, that approximately 385,000 people attend annually. That’s right; it is the largest and most popular free street festival to the west of the Mississippi River!
Dates – August 4– 5, 2012
Time – 10 am to 6 pm
Location – Central Fremont
When you look at pictures of past festivals, you can quickly see what a great time everyone has at this event. It offers a casual and comfortable environment; it is certainly a place appropriate for the entire family. This event will be the 29th anniversary, and the festival sure has come a long way since it was first held in the Fremont Hub in 1983.
People come from all around to indulge in food, wine, beer and margaritas while enjoying live music and shopping for unique hand-crafted items made by talented artists.
Things to Do
- Kid City – It is rewarding to take your children to State Street, where activities and performers cater specifically to them. There are plenty of rides that are well beyond your typical carnival rides, as well as a ton of fun yet educational activities. Free sunscreen is provided by the Washington Township Medical Foundation, and story time in the library is always a special treat.
- Music – Live music is always in full swing on the Paseo Padre Stage. If you want your band to play, Prime Time Entertainment, Inc. will be booking acts for the festival.
- Artists – Shopping or simply browsing through the work offered by such diverse artists is the heart-and-soul of this Fremont, California, festival. Only handcrafted items are permitted here, so you will always find plenty of one-of-a-kind pieces of jewelry, art for your home or distinctive clothing.
- Gourmet Marketplace – It is hard to leave the festival and not be inspired to cook with the fantastic selection of local gourmet marinades, BBQ sauces, honey, olive oils and more. There are even hard-to-find fresh spices and blends.
- Wine Garden – Some people come to the Fremont Festival of the Arts strictly for the wine; that’s okay too! The Wine Garden is secluded, and in a beautiful shaded area where you can just sit and enjoy premium wines by local wineries. A glass of wine is included in the entry ticket, and then you can purchase additional drink tickets at a great rate.
- Beer – Although there are always popular favorites on tap, you will also find tempting microbrews, including Pyramid Hefeweizan and Fat Tire Ale.
- Margaritas – Back by popular demand, some of the best margaritas you will ever taste will be served in a keepsake container to take home.
- Food – The aroma of the festival food will tempt your taste buds as soon as you get out of your car. Nonprofits gain exposure by providing key services, one of which is operating a food booth! The Boy Scouts will be there to help and make sure trash is sorted in compostable, recyclables or just plain trash bins.
Everyone who lives and around Fremont, California, already knows what an exciting event this is. If you are going to be in the state visiting, this is a festival well worth any effort it take you to get there!
Joseph Sabeh, Jr.