Go Midwest, young families.
That’s the overwhelming conclusion from our latest survey of the “Best Schools For Your Housing Buck,” which found that the best high-performing public school districts with affordable housing are in Ohio, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
That doesn’t mean there aren’t great schools elsewhere, but in most cases you’ll have to pay up to put your kids in them. New Canaan, Conn., schools are superlative by any measure and rank 22nd overall among thousands of districts we looked at. But a typical home in New Canaan goes for $1.2 million, according to Zillow, more than seven times the national median home price.
For a sixth of the cost of living in New Canaan, you can move to Delano, Minn., home of this year’s best schools for your housing buck.
Here’s a look at the top choices:
1. Rocky River City, Ohio – Cheerleaders at Rocky River, another Cleveland suburb with high-performing schools and houses for less than $250,000.
2. Oakwood City, Ohio – An art class meets outside in the late spring at Oakwood High School, in a Dayton suburb where homes can still be had for less than $250,000.
3. Chagrin Falls, Ohio – Gurney Elementary students in Chagrin Falls, a Cleveland suburb where an average home costs less than $250,000.
4. Madeira City Schools, Ohio – Madeira City, another Cincinnati suburb, ranked 2nd statewide last year. Recent Zillow estimate: $211,500.
5. Cedarburg School District, Wis. – Home prices are creeping up in this Milwaukee suburb, but still affordable by coastal standards. Recent Zillow estimated median price: $317,000.
6. Mahtomedi School District, Minn. – Wildwood Elementary School in the Mahtomedi, a lakeside town north of St. Paul. Recent Zillow home price estimate: $256,300.
7. Wyoming City, Ohio – Schools in this small town north of Cincinnati ranked No. 1 in Ohio last year. Zillow home price: $262,000.
8. Mequon-Thiensville School District, Wis.- AP Chemistry students at Homestead High School in Mequon, north of Milwaukee, where the median home price was less than $300,000 last year, but is rising fast.
9. Bedford School District, N.H. – Ross A. Lurgio Middle School in Bedford, a town 50 miles north of Boston that consistently scores high on national rankings. Recent Zillow home price: $344,900.
10. Delano Public School District, Minn. – School district in Delano, Minn., outside Minneapolis, ranks high in the state with home prices that Zillow recently pegged at $196,800.
Share and Enjoy
Posted In: EHR News
No comments yet.